Western Mongolia and Altai Eagle Festival
September 7 – 19, 2023
$6,490 per person / 6 – 10 people
Please email us or call 928-779-2288 for more information or to sign up for the trip!
Western Mongolia has for much of its history been on the boundary between civilizations—between Chinese-dominated Asian culture to the east and European cultures to the west, divided by the Altai mountains and the Tibetan plateau to the south. Large and endangered animals call the region home, including snow leopards, the Govi Bear, Argali sheep, ibex, antelope, gazelle, falcons, golden eagles, wolves, foxes, and many more. It is also the most ethnically diverse, mountainous, and scenic region of Mongolia, with thousands of years of history.
Western Mongolia is a land of nomadic tribes, horses, snow-covered peaks, endless grasslands, rivers, and Kazakh hospitality. This FIRE-led tour trip covers many of the highlights of Western Mongolia including the Altai Mountains, Tavan Bogd National Park, horse riding and hiking, archeological sites, private ger stays with eagle hunting and nomadic herder families and culminates with the two-day Sagsai Eagle Festival. If you want more than just a taste of Western Mongolia, this is the trip.
Day 1: Arrive in Ulaanbaatar. Blue Sky Hotel
Day 2: Tour day in Ulaanbaatar. Blue Sky Hotel
Day 3: Tour day in Ulaanbaatar. Blue Sky Hotel
Day 4: Fly to Olgii. Drive to Camp 1 – Tavan Bogd National Park / Herder host family.
Day 5: Horse riding, hiking, experience nomadic herding life, historic sites, Altai views.
Day 6: Drive to Camp 2 – Eagle hunter host family.
Dayan Lake and Hurgan Lakes, petroglyph complexes, Turkic stone men, archeology.
Day 7-8: Introduction to eagle hunting, herding practices, daily life, and hiking.
Day 9-11: Drive to Camp 3 – Altai Eagle Festival
Eagle Festival Day 1
Eagle Festival Day 2. Overnight in Olgii at Makshum Hotel
Day 12: Leave Olgii – Fly back to UB
Day 13: Depart for home
Kobesh Travel is an independent tour company owned and operated by local guide Akhtolkun (Agii) Makhsum. Born and raised in Bayan-Ulgii and educated in Kazakhstan, Agii’s goal is to give each one of his travelers a unique and authentic travel experience. Agii has been working with and supporting FIRE since 2004. Kobesh Travel specializes in providing the most comfortable, personable and professional trips possible in western Mongolia. Some of their repeat clients include National Geographic, BBC, and ITV.
Kobesh Travel guides, drivers, and cooks are highly skilled and adept at meeting the needs of Western travelers. They will become a big part of the trip.
Mary Williams, FIRE’s Communications Director, is an equestrian with a history of guiding and adventure. Her guiding career, spanning several decades, has included work as a climbing guide on Mt. Rainier, and river guiding in Grand Canyon, Idaho, and Nepal. She has been a member of Grand Canyon Hounds since its began in 2004 and currently holds the position of Honorary Secretary. She has been leading FIRE’s trips in Mongolia since 2019.
- Plan to arrive September 7 (or earlier) and depart September 19 (or later) to and from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (airport code UBN).
- The trip will have a minimum of 6 people and a maximum of 10.
- Prices include Mongolian and US guides and all in-country expenses: three meals a day, all transportation within Mongolia including airport transfers and domestic flights, all accommodations, horses and tack, entrance fees and permits.
- These prices do not include flights to and from Mongolia, domestic overweight baggage fees, insurance, alcohol or other personal items.
- All hotel rooms in UB and Olgii City are double occupancy unless an upgrade is made for a single room.
- Gers (yurt) in Bayan-Olgii will have 2 to 4 people per ger.
- We require you to have emergency evacuation insurance for your own safety and well being.
- Travel Insurance is also required. FIRE is unable to provide refunds for canceled trip unless FIRE cancels the trip due to a lack of sign ups. FIRE can assist you in finding both kinds of insurance.
- Additional hotel nights in UB are available. Let us know if you plan to extend your trip.
- We plan our itineraries to the best of our knowledge, but please know that there may be unexpected changes. We will do our best to inform you and support you, but please be flexible.
- Information about the trip (please contact us for the below paperwork)
- 2022 Altai Eagle Festival Itinerary
- 2022 Mongolia Tour Trip Key Info
- Mongolia Tour Trip Packing List
- A non-refundable deposit of $1,000 is due January 15, 2023* to confirm your spot on the trip. (Most insurance policies require you to purchase trip insurance at the same time you make your first deposit towards a trip to qualify for insurance coverage.)
- Non-refundable full payment is due April 1, 2023. With your full payment, we require the following documents:
- Copy of your passport
- Copy of your flight schedule to and from Mongolia
- Copy of your emergency evacuation and travel insurance
- Signed liability release (we will provide this)
- Payments can be mailed check to: FIRE Projects, PO Box 22187, Flagstaff, AZ 86002.
- Please contact us by email or call 928-779-2288 to pay by credit card. A 3% fee is added to credit card payments.